Sunday, 25 September 2011

"Blogging Blues"

Google Friends Connect - Do I need you? Are you a 'newbies' friend or foe?

As a 'newbie' I find it interesting to read other blogs, as I am sure you all do too. They give me ideas, they direct me and my blog along the right path, they give me inspiration. I have found that every blog is different, personal stories, creativity that I can only dream of, and photography as a new way of thinking and sharing ideas.
I love finding other 'newbie' bloggers, comparing, but I also gain a lot from reading the 'pro's' blogs.

There is one in particular that I have looked out on numerous occasions, that offers advice, tips and support, and that also questions the 'norm'. It was on this blog that I read an article that made me as a 'newbie' think.

The Real Supermum wrote about whether we really need the GFC widget. A widget that allows friends to follow you. Do I really need this taking up space on my blog? (though admittedly it doesn't take up a great deal of space on mine personally!)

As a 'newbie' you write but you have no idea of how well you are doing as a blogger. You think you are doing well, but....no-one is following you. Or are they?
Yor stats say otherwise, people are obviously visiting and reading what you write, some people even come back again and again, but no-one seems to click the 'follow' on GFC. Your pageviews, day by day, show consistency, people visit, so why don't they click follow?

Maybe my blog is just pants.... and no-one wants to follow it, but people comment, so what is it all about. Is it, as The Real Supermum says, just a popularity contest. So I am a 'newbie' and I am just not up there with them yet. (Will I ever be?)

That's when it starts, what I am calling the "Blogging Blues". Days when I feel what's the point if no-one is following. Days when I fell like I can't be asked, should I continue? But I love writing, I am loving blogging...Dilemma!

And then I think - it's just a widget, does it really mean anything? I look at my twitter followers, so why are they following me, it must mean something. I blog and tweet anonymously, so my tweets are only really blog related or personal thoughts as a blogger, people are not following the real me. Okay so my twitter followers aren't huge, but they are growing daily, my GFC's are pretty much non existent. So what do I do?

I will leave the GFC widget on my blog for another month, that will be three months of blogging, and then if there is no improvement I will remove it for self confidence sake. We will see.

To my three followers on GFC- I thank you, to everyone else, please don't click out of sympathy, but if you do pop by, please leave a comment. Any feedback is always appreciated.

P.S. I have also finally set up a Facebook page, so check it out too- (and like!!!)

12 comments:

  1. I don't understand how any of the following thingys work, or how half the stats are worked out. I hope people enjoy reading my blog, but I'm trying not to get bogged down with that stuff. (I already thought I was following you, I get lost between twitter follows and blog follows!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I know exactly how you feel, I don't have very many readers of my blog.

    I did wonder if it was worth while to keep on blogging, but I asked myself why I was blogging in the first place, and was I doing it for me or for 'reader ratings'?

    I blog because it's something that I want to do for me, and for that reason alone I'm going to continue to blog, and if my readership increases with time, then great but if not then so be it.

    Keep up with your blog, people do read it, and we do come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. - I am sure it is just a popularity thing and my stats on blogger and google analytics are way out so I don't understand it all either, I will persevere!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who has been blogging for a while now, my advice to you really would be not to get bogged down in all of this. Just be 'you' and enjoy what you do and honestly, don't sweat over the stats. They come in time. And besides which, they are just numbers. None of it really matters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not, have never and will never have the GFC widget on my blog. Before I ever even thought of writing a blog, I read a lot and GFC just seemed like a big popularity contest. And what does it achieve anyway? Is it better to follow someone with very few followers? Or with hundreds? If you like it, then you like it and you should follow regardless of whether no one or everyone shares your opinion.
    I started my blog for me and I still stand by that. And if no one read it, well it wouldn't make any difference because I would continue the way I am. Don't get me wrong, I love coming on line to see I've had a lot if hits and a fair few comments that day, but it won't change me or my content.
    And don't worry, I'm reading what you write. It's just that I'm more of a Google Reader Subscription kind of girl rather than a Google Friends Connect type. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, I think I was just having a stressful weekend and not really focusing on why I started this. It is nice to know that people do visit, which I knew anyway, but just needed a bit of a boost, to get me thinking and writing how I want to again.
    Big cyber hugs to all my new friends, whether through GFC or otherwise!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya :-) I'm still reading your stuff and liking it.I just don't know how to do google connect anonymously,I tried once and it printed my name and I prefer to keep my cyber life anonymous.
    So keep up the good stuff,I'm loving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jess, I was wondering what had happened to you as I hadn't heard from you in a while. Hope you are okay? I struggled with getting GFC anonymous to start with but then managed to do it but can't remember how!!

    Love_from_mummy - what is Google Reader subscription? - I've never heard of that one, still a lot to learn I guess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :-)
    I'm ok,finding the back to school routine hectic tho!And Chipmunk having a really tough time at juniors so I'm emotionally & physically whacked!I use google reader,you make a google account & then you can subscribe to blogs and they appear in a reader app on your phone.I've subscribed to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there,
    My advise is try not to eorry too much about it, keep writing and it will come.

    I read most blogs on my phone too and tbe follow me section isn't available - it wil come try not to think so and so have more followere than me it will drag you down. As for stats - I just dont get them plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww don't worry about followers, I used to feel down about it and stopped checking how many followers I had and when I checked a few weeks back I was shocked how much it had increased, it all comes in time :) I'm your newest follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love in the Nest - Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete