Thursday, 4 October 2012

Shocked.

(Again, I am struggling to get onto the blog. Having just signed up and ready to start the second module of my masters, time is a premium!!)

Yesterday I had a phone call from my mum. My dad's side of the family have had a tough 12 months. My dad's cousin was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and went down hill fast. His wife has just sold their house and is moving up country to be nearer her children but that leaves her mother in law (my Great Aunt, in her 90's and amazing!) down here. My Great Aunt has another son who lives locally but was never as close as she was to the one who passed away last year. Yesterday's phone call was to say that my dad's other cousin's wife had gone to the doctor last week with chest pains and stomach cramps, was referred straight to the hospital and things weren't looking to good. My great Aunt, understandably was upset, but coping.
Tonight as I attempted to bath Worm, the phone rang. My mum again to say that this lady had died today. It is hard to believe that a fortnight ago, she knew nothing was wrong, to then be told that she was ill and that it was cancer and then a fortnight later she would be dead, is quite a shock. She is roughly the same age as my parents, and I think that is what shocks me most. That  now two people of their generation have died in the past 12 months. I know it is inevitable, but it is not something that I really want to think about, but I guess in a way it makes me appreciate what I have and what is to come a bit more.
The saying 'live each day like it's your last' means just a little bit more.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss. It really is scary when people of your parents age pass away. My parents recently lost 2 friends who are their age (early 60's) and it just makes me hope and pray that they live much much longer xx

    ReplyDelete